KristinaD

Moira Rogers
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Kelley Armstrong, Ally Condie, Melissa Marr, Jessica Verday

Countdown to Doomsday

Countdown to Doomsday - Sean Salazar My Thoughts: This was my foray into this genre for the year. While there were some misses throughout the book, I enjoyed the read and can see myself taking the time to read the second.
The action starts on page one and does not let up until there are no more pages. While the characters seem stereotypical of what you would expect, I don't think they would work if you tried to take them to a different direction. I loved the quirky British bunker agents, they made up some of the best scenes in the book. Al works as the main character and his background is well explained throughout so some of the things he does seem more probable. I'm not sure how I feel about Jess, she was a good side character but the twist didn't really make sense and was not really explained.
I had two main problems that I could not get past. The first, trying to add romance to the story. The author did a good job of establishing the past history between Al and Jess but needed to leave it at that. Al displaying jealousy just seemed to pop up in weird place and broke up the flow of the story. The other problem was, if this is a series it needs to have smaller issues that will be resolved inside the book while still working on the overall big picture that runs throughout the series. The big picture of the Brotherhood vs. the Mason vs. Al and friends was established very well but when I finished reading I didn't fell as if anything was accomplished that made the reading overly satisfying. As stated, the big picture was interesting enough that I will take the time to read the second but I hope something is resolved, even if it's a small something, to make it feel more like a series book.