KristinaD

Crux
Moira Rogers
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Kelley Armstrong, Ally Condie, Melissa Marr, Jessica Verday
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness original post:http://newborrowedused.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-review-discovery-of-witches.html

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. That being said, it is a very heavy book. I don't mean literally, even though it is that as well. At almost 600 pages it has a lot of information that is can be important later on and easy to miss if you just skim over parts. The mix of history, science, and paranormal was well done and I enjoyed it more than I anticipated.
The characters were an enjoyable mix of old world meets modern. While Diana was not my favorite, throughout the book, she did hold up and by the end I was on her side. There were times that she was either too headstrong or too pliable, and not at the times you would want her to be either. Matthew and his family are typical, long lived vampires with enough history and back story to make them an interesting read. The remaining witches, daemons, vampires, and humans was an interesting mix with their own quirks . My favorite character had to be the Bishop house and all its ghosts. From slamming doors and shifting rooms I wanted to spend more time finding out it secrets than I did the main story.
The author did an excellent job taking everything throughout the book and bringing to end that felt natural and still set up the next book. I'm looking forward to see what the next book brings for Diana, Matthew, and their hodgepodge group of family and friends.
Rating: 4 (only because I cannot see myself rereading this book due to the sheer volume and focus needed while reading it)