KristinaD

Crux
Moira Rogers
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Kelley Armstrong, Ally Condie, Melissa Marr, Jessica Verday
The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab originally posted: http://newborrowedused.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-review-near-witch.html

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed the lyrical almost sing song writing of this book. The subject, setting and writing made me want to curl up and dig in right up to the end. I can definitely see myself reading this story again.
Part of the reason for this was two of my favorite new characters of this year. Lexi has this permissible rebelliousness about her that makes you want to see her come out on top no matter the odds. Trying to fill her dead father's shoes (literally) and remember the stories he taught her while trying to keep her little sister safe. Then there is Cole, the deeply, darkly, haunted stranger to Near. This character grabbed from his first mention and as his story unraveled it just drew me to him more. While there is romance between the two in the story it does not overwhelm the main story.
The rest of the characters are just as important. From the sisters who seem to be the only ones in Near who refuse to forget the past, to Lexi's uncle who is trying to do the right thing by his brother's family, just maybe not in the best way.
The action built from the beginning and while all the stories and rhymes may have seemed repetitious they were important come the final stand against the Near Witch.