KristinaD

Crux
Moira Rogers
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Kelley Armstrong, Ally Condie, Melissa Marr, Jessica Verday
The Betrayal of Maggie Blair - Elizabeth Laird Dislikes: This book wasn't what I was expecting after reading the description. I was thinking more along paranormal lines to lead to the accusation of witchcraft. Instead this book is more about the religious struggles in 17th century Scotland, Church vs. State. While this did not detract from the book, I did have to switch gears while reading. The main problem I had with this book, even though it is about religious persecution, it was over done and preachy at times. There were a lot of scriptures and psalms as part of the dialog and I felt there were times that the author could have just stated that they started singing a song instead of giving us three paragraphs of the psalm. I also felt Annie was a little over used in the story. It would have been more enjoyable to me if there had been more than one person that seemed to be causing all the problems throughout the book.

Likes: Even without the paranormal, I still found it to be an interesting read. I always enjoy historicals set in Scotland and Ireland and this was no exception. Maggie was a great lead character. She had such a naivety of the world around her and yet still had a strong sense of loyalty to those that she loved and what she felt was right. I also liked how even though there were times along her journey were there was a possibility of a romance, that could have solved all of her problems, the author chose not to go that route and instead let Maggie find herself throughout the book.

Overall: Even though it won't be what a lot of people are expecting, it is still a well written, interesting read. Maggie's journey, from being forced to flee the only home she has ever know to trying to rescue the only family she has left, was a heartbreaking and yet uplifting story right up to the very end.

Rating: 3.5